Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ipad Usage In The Classroom

     Until this year, I haven't used Ipads much in first grade.  There were several reasons that inhibited my usage.  First, we only have one cart with twenty-five Ipads that is shared between four classes.  Secondly, the cart was locked up in the library.  This required me to find the librarian to unlock the cart and wait for her to unlock it, all the while leaving my students, which I felt was a huge liability. Finally, it was a painful experience having to plug in 25 Ipads to recharge everyday.  However, this year, I made up my mind that I was going to overcome these obstacles and begin to use the Ipads more.  Thus far, I've done just that.  With my principal's permission, I'm not keeping the Ipad cart in  my classroom.  I've trained a very dependable student to count and plug in the Ipads everyday.  She loves doing this job, and I love the fact that I'm not taking away instructional time to plug in Ipads. 
     I've integrated the Ipads into my English and Math rotations everyday.  For English rotations, the students use the Ipads to do Raz Kids from Learning A-Z.  Raz-Kids is a website that allows the students to read books on his/her reading level.  The books are automatically assigned to the students once they log in.  They also take a comprehension quiz after they read the book.  For Math rotations, the students use the Ipads to do IXL Math.  Before beginning this program, the students are required to take a placement test.  Once they complete the placement test, the program takes them to skills that they can do based on the results of their placement test.  As they're answering questions within the program, if they get the questions correct, the program will give them more difficult questions.  Likewise, if they get the questions incorrect, the program will give them less difficult questions.  Both the Reading A-Z and IXL are differentiated according to the readiness of the child.
     Another way that I've used Ipads this year has been so useful.  I have a group of 23 students, and it's not always easy to get to each one and make sure everyone is following along and getting what's being taught.  Therefore, I've started taking pictures of worksheets, quizes/tests (after they've been give) with the Ipad.  Then, I email the picture to myself and open the email on the Smartboard.  Then, as the document is projected, the students can see the worksheet, test/quiz, etc. , and they tend to grasp the information and directions faster.  I can also write on the document as it's being projected.  This has worked wonders with my reading group in particular.  They're a group of struggling readers who also have difficulty focusing.  When they're asked to follow along in their books and then read individually, 99% of the time they have no clue where we're at in the story.  So, I've started taking a picture of the text and projecting it on the Smartboard.  The students are able to see the text and watch me model how to read aloud and follow the words.  This has made a tremendous difference in their reading abilities.  One particular student in this group has Cerebral Palsy, and his eyesight hinders him from seeing the fine print in the book.  Projecting the story from the camera roll on the Ipad onto the Smartboard makes seeing the story much easier for him.  The following pictures are two examples of what I've projected on the Smartboard just today.  One is a math worksheet and the other is the reading group story.  I'm excited that I'm using technology in a new way and making it work for me.


Displaying photo.JPGDisplaying photo.JPG             

No comments:

Post a Comment